Precious ? a contemporary jewelry set
Precious ? is a set of jewelry pieces I especially made for BIJOU BIJOUX ! contemporary jewelry collective exhibition*, which has been taking place in May 2018 at Invisible Gallery in Marseille.
“I MEAN, “REAL” JEWELRY !”
How many times have I heard these words from visitors in a show ? Can’t tell…
For this exhibition I started from this point , and chose to deal and play with my frustration of not being an actual jeweler.
My pieces challenge our common sense for preciousness in our consumer society, as well as fake/real differenciation, with a touch of humour.
My work also refers to the novel “La Parure” by French writer Guy de Maupassant (I encourage you to read it, it’s brilliant !)
I crafted oversized fake gemstones with materials that have nothing to do with jewelry : silk, rhodoïd, polyester thread… However in a way I respected jewelry standards : sheerness, lightreflection, the embroided stitches are figuring out actual gem cutting patterns.
- Étoile d’Inde / India Star : clip or stud earrings with single embroidered gemstone shape, Sapphire color – silk, polyester thread, rhodoid, silver pleated brass clip or stud
- Un Diamant gros comme le Ritz / A Diamond as Big a the Ritz : embroidered gemstone shape, Diamond color – silk, polyester thread, rhodoid
- Étoile de l’Ouest / Western Star : two gemstone shape embroidered necklace, Diamond color – silk, polyester thread, rhodoid, brass thread braid, ppp tube
- Blue Moon : single gemstone embroidered necklace, Sapphire color – silk, polyester thread, rhodoid, silver thread cord, ppp tube
- La Parure : four gemstone shape embroidered necklace, Diamond color – silk, polyester thread, rhodoid, brass thread braid, ppp tube.